The First WITTA Congress
Translation in Education and Education in Translation
19-20 November 2016
Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, Guangzhou, China
School of Interpreting and Translation Studies, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
The Halliday Centre for Intelligent Applications of Language Studies (HCLS), City University of Hong Kong
Centre for Studies of Translation, Interpreting and Cognition (CSTIC), University of Macau
Human civilization in today’s world poises between two poles: one is globalization and the other localization. In either direction translation plays a pivotal role and hence has profound implications for social and cultural development. As such, translation education is becoming increasingly a concern of global significance. And in view of the rapid development of translation programmes in higher education as well as other professional sectors across the world, two issues concerning translation as an integral part of education stand out for more critical attention. One is translation in education: how translation should position itself in the existing education system to facilitate the training of competent translators and interpreters. And the other can be seen in a broad sense as education in translation. That is, how education as a whole in different countries and regions has drawn upon translation in cultivating desirable qualities in a student. To speak to these matters of common interest, WITTA, a newly founded international association dedicated to promoting translation education, is inviting translation scholars and practitioners, education policy planners, and language and education service providers to participate in its First Congress and present papers on topics including (but not limited to) the following:
· Translation in an educational setting: past, present and future
· New approaches to translation education and research
· Corpus, computer technology and translation education
· Language service industry and translation education
· Language policies and translation education
· Translation and the cultivation of identity and global awareness
· Translation and the cultivation of critical and creative thinking
Language: English and/or Chinese
Registration and Abstract Submission:
· Please download and complete the enclosed “The First WITTA Congress Reply Slip” and submit it to email@example.com on or before 31 August 2016.
· For paper-presenters, please put your abstract in the appropriate box on the Reply Slip. Acceptance will be notified before 10 September 2016.
· Registration is only completed upon payment and issue of confirmation from the organizer.
· Further information will be announced at the website: http://witta.gdufs.edu.cn.
Indication of Intention to Apply for WITTA Membership:
Institutions that wish to apply for WITTA membership please download and complete the enclosed “WITTA Membership Application Form” and submit a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 31 August 2016.
Registration Fee (travel, accommodation & insurance not included):
Regular: $200 US dollars or ¥1300 yuan RMB
Student: $100 US dollars or ¥650 yuan RMB (Please provide a scanned copy of your student identity card for verification.)
(A) Telegraphic Transfer
Payment can be made by telegraphic transfer to the following bank account:
Name of Bank: BANK OF CHINA GUANGZHOU HUANG SHI DONG OFFICE
Bank Address: 4# BAI YUN DA DAO GUANGZHOU CITY CHINA
Account Name: GUANGDONG UNIVERSITY OF FOREIGN STUDIES
Account No.: 630157745051
Swift Code: BKCHCNBJ 400
Please note that any bank service charges for the transfer must be borne by the remitter. Please send a copy of the remittance advice for the bank transfer to us at email@example.com.
(B) On-site Payment
Payment can also be made by bank card at the First WITTA Congress registration desk on 18 November 2016.
Please note that a bank service charge of 1% will be added should the payment be made in US Dollar.
Please visit the website http://witta.gdufs.edu.cn for updates.
Serena Zou, e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.